1. Individual ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility are basic to good government.
2. The free enterprise system and encouragement of individual initiative are musts for a strong economy.
3. Government exists to protect the freedom of each individual, not to restrict it.
4. Government should get involved only in those things which the people cannot do so well for themselves.
5. Both government and society should assist those who cannot provide for themselves and should help them become self-supporting citizens with pride in their independence.
6. Equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity belonging to all, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin or gender.
7. The preservation of our nation and the security of our citizens depend on every citizen’s respect for the Constitution, the laws and the courts.
8. Government must maintain sound money and reasonable economy. The rights of life and liberty are meaningless if citizens are deprived of their property through excessive taxation, inflation and government waste.
9. World peace and friendship will continue through strength.
Source: Republican National Committee, 1999